The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

The Ocean at the End of the LaneThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

“Grown-ups don't look like grown-ups on the inside either. Outside, they're big and thoughtless and they always know what they're doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. Truth is, there aren't any grown-ups. Not one, in the whole wide world.”

The book pulled out the child in me, the child that would have been frightened of all the things happening, of the hole in his foot, of Ursula, and of Varmints. The children in the story, one so brave she faced monsters and one frightened about all the bad things that could happen, were touching characters in their own little way. The fantasy and the horror of it just kept me reading and reading until I finished. I do not question this being categorized as an adult book for I think if children read it, although it shows a lot of lessons like courage and trust, it could give nightmares. I think this book was for adults - for them to realize that on the inside, they really are just like any other kid on the playground, because the child they once were will always be a part of them no matter how they see and remember it - maybe even how they have forgotten.

View all my reviews

Popular Posts